Thursday, August 5, 2010

Sweet Dreams, Momo

Success!

Mia let me leave her room tonight without her being sad and crying!

The last three nights were rough with Monday being the worst. I had left her asleep and ten minutes later she woke up bawling. I would tell her to go back to sleep, but she'd find every excuse to get out of her room. She needed water...she had to go to the bathroom (twice)...the cats were being loud. It was like an episode from Supernanny! Her crying was so terribly loud that I almost caved in, but I knew I couldn't once we started. I think the last time I put her back in her room was around 3:30 AM and it left me so exhausted for the next day. We went through the whole ordeal again on Tuesday night. Same exact thing...so many tears shed...only she relented a bit earlier. Last night as I was about to leave her bed she began crying again but this time I decided to talk her through it. I told her that even though she was sleeping by herself it didn't mean that I didn't love her any less. Sleeping on her own was just something that big boys and girls did. I think I spent 45 minutes reassuring her with how much I love her and how much everyone else loves her. I left her at about 11 PM and she was sound asleep 'til I woke her up this morning.

So this is what we did tonight that I guess is her nighttime ritual. Toothbrushing and bathtime at 8:15 PM. I blow-dried her hair. Then we went to her room and she picked out two books to read. We lay down together in her bed and, since she said she was tired, I was the one doing all the reading. After reading I got up and I told her I loved her several times and we gave each other goodnight kisses. And before I closed her door I told her I loved her again.

I honestly didn't think I could convince her to sleep in her own room, but now it's happened. I'm so relieved! For being brave I promised her that we would take her to Toys 'R Us to pick out "a little something". I'm just so super-duper proud of her right now that I feel like I'm going to burst.

2 comments:

Jamie Ko said...

way to stay strong Michelle! and good girl Mia!

I decided last night that I was going to wean Keira off her middle of the night bottle feedings. I think she woke up a few times and cried and cried and cried, but i didn't give in. I knew I couldn't or else she would know crying hard and long enough would do the trick. I didn't get the sleep I would've loved, but I stuck to it.

It's hard being a "tough" mom sometimes huh?

michelle.g said...

jamie, it's really tough because you start asking yourself if what you're doing is the right thing. it's so hard watching your child cry and you're the one causing it. even though mia is almost 5 she still thinks that crying will get her her way, but i think she's finally understanding that it's not how it works anymore.

good job on staying strong too, jamie! i guess us tough moms can just catch up on our sleep later :)